to Ask Breeders
before Buying a Puppy
Thanks to the following people for
contributing to this effort: Allan Strachan, Vicki L. May, Linda
Promaulayko, and Donna Patterson.
- How are the temperaments of both
Sire and Dam ? Are there any signs of aggressiveness in
- Why did you breed these two particular
dogs? What do you think these puppies will contribute to
the future of the breed. (Really gives the buyer some
good insight and very interesting responses.)
- What do you look for in a prospective owner of your pups?
(Would let me know they measure of their concern for
- How long have you been involved in the
breed and how many litters have you had? If the number is
high then ask, How can you possible be responsible for
all those dogs?
- Why do I have to co-own a bitch with you
and breed a litter as stated in the sales contract? How
do you know at this age of 7-8 weeks that this bitch is
- What guarantees do you give on hips, or other health
problems that may arise? If my dog fails the OFA x ray at
age two what is your policy on money refunded or help
with medical bills?
- Can you can rate your puppies and pick one for me i.e.
high, medium, low (warp) speed/personality, dominant or
- Have you ever had a dog returned for
health reasons, or other reasons??
- How long have you been breeding and what type of research
did you do to select the sire?
- Are you involved with breed rescue?
- If it is their first litter, what other
experienced breeders are helping to evaluate the puppies?
- Are you going to be a mentor in training
in new areas for buyer, or if it is a long distance buy,
is there anyone in my area who will do so -- especially
important for first time V owners.